Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Impasto and Imprimatura


I started taking Fundamental Acrylics last fall but dropped it, finding the course overwhelming.  I tried again this fall and I love it!  I'm amazed.

We learned another great technique-tidbit this week that blew me away.  Tom Thomson, on his outdoor sketches on boards, began with an imprimatura layer.  That is, he first painted the board one colour which most often was ORANGE.  I really had trouble believing this.  I have to get to the AGO to look at dry brush on David Milne's work and orange imprimatura on Thomson's.  I would have said that the orange bits were added later.

So of course we began this week with an orange imprimatura layer.  Then we started with thin paint getting gradually thicker with the help of Regular Gloss Gel to create the look of a thick oil painting.  It was so fun I felt like an Old Master!  Same source material as last week.




1 comment:

  1. Hi. I've been enjoying reading your posts about your explorations. I have a question about imprimatura. What is the method of application?

    ReplyDelete